Courting Axiom With Folly Since 2005.

Courting Axiom With Folly Since 2005.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I Love My Miniature Donkey!

Donkeys are just fabulous animals. This is a fact that only the most brazen morons would contest.

It should be noted, then, that miniature donkeys are hardly "miniature fun". They are enormous fistfuls of fun. They gorge at the trough of fun. They literally ooze fun from every orifice. Don't make that face. They do. I've seen it. You see, I have a miniature donkey. And I love that little bastard.

It isn't easy owning a miniature donkey. It's a lot of work. For example, look at these tips:
It is recommended you feed about 1/2 flake of good quality coastal hay every morning and evening when grass is not abundant. This means you must live in an abundantly grassy area, on a hay-laden coast, and know how much a "flake" is. As none of those apply to me, I feed my donkey sand. And Arby's as a treat.

Donkey owners know: DO NOT OVERFEED! DO NOT UNDERFEED! This can be difficult at first, but giving up is not an option. Since miniature donkeys can easily be overfed, they often do not get enough minerals in their meager rations. Minerals can be provided in the form of a lick In addition, loose minerals can be offered free choice or used as a top dressing. I give my donkey plenty of mineral-rich sand so he will be able to pull the miniature cart and plough I had made for him. I farm baby carrots and that can be lots of work for the poor little scamp, so he needs to be "strong like bull"...

Fresh, clean water must be provided at all times. Donkeys don't like dirty or hot water. They also don't like freezing cold water! They love iced tea and Mountain Dew, however. This gets expensive, so I use Mello Yello. My donkey can hardly tell the difference.

You must trim hooves as needed, usually about every two months. You can learn to do this yourself, but it must not be neglected. I home-schooled myself on the art of hoof-trimming. It's pretty easy if you saw really fast and don't mind a few "love kicks".

Vaccinate in the spring and fall for Influenza, Rhinopheumonitis, Eastern, Western, Venezualan and West Nile Encephalomalitis and Strangles. Rabies and Tetanus should be given once a year. These confusing words confuse me, but I'm not intimidated! No squirrels will bite my miniature donkey more than a few times, even when he's wearing his "nut n' honey" outfit! Bring it on!

Lots of people ask me about flies. If a donkey has a full coat, flies don't usually bother them too much. I do have problems with flies on my donkey's legs in the spring. It is recommended you use a salve called "Swat" and cover the areas where the flies are picking on your donkey about twice a week, supplementing those efforts with equine fly spray when necessary. This is what I call "too much information". I try to make my donkey see flies and other egg-laying insects as barnyard friends. It's all in a positive attitude, really.

Lastly, though miniauture donkeys are quite intelligent, they are not as smart as, say, pigeons or books. That is VITAL information. Donkeys, no matter what size CAN drive, however, just not stick-shift. Also, they may not talk or even fly much at first. Be patient and your donkey will become a regular Larry King Poppins! Try staying still for as long as possible in your donkey cape. And don't eat anything for a week or so.

Remember, you cannot love a donkey to death. I've tried and it's impossible. Miniature donkeys thrive on love. And sand and the other stuff I already talked about.

Like I said, STAY POSITIVE and there's nothing you and your magical, miniature donkey cannot accomplish.

You'll soooooooaaaaaaar!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the tip on SWAT, Truffles the donkey will be grateful.